So, you’ve decided to step into the fuzzy world of bubble bars, but you have never used one before. But, don’t worry, we all have been there. Maybe you were gifted a bubble bar, and now you have no idea of how to use it, or perhaps you’ve been using bath bombs for a while and would like to get to know the bath experience with bubble bars too.
Discover the ‘secrets’ Professional Bath Bomb Makers use to create luscious bath bombs with this step-by-step guide. You’ll have a priceless reference collection of product recipes with natural ingredients designed to create a relaxing spa atmosphere in your own home.
Today, we’ll explore the differences between bubble bars and bubble baths while learning how to use the former the right way together. Let’s see what these products are all about!
What is the difference between a Bath Bomb and a Bubble Bar?
Regardless of the context, it is important to note that bubble bars and baths bombs have similar usages, but they are different products with a distinct purpose. The differences between each product make the experience with either one unique, and you even have people who use them simultaneously.
- Usage differences
The main difference between a bath bomb and a bubble bar is that, while bath bombs act like giant Alka-Seltzer that colors the water and maybe adds salts and essential oils to the bathwater, bubble bars are all about producing bubbles; hence, they’re more suitable for those that like taking bubble baths but would like to enhance the experience they already have.
However, similar to bath bombs, bubble bars may include fragrances that will change the overall atmosphere of your bath time.
It can be hard to tell the difference between a bath bomb and a bubble bar at first glance, so if you’re having doubts, the best you can do is feel the texture.
- Bath bombs feel hard to the touch. If you tap them, there will be a “clicking” sound, as if you were tapping a porous rock. You can also try to dig your fingernail into it. If it’s a bath bomb, it will resist it.
- On the other hand, bubble bars feel like dough. So if you try to dig your fingernail into a bubble bar, you’ll probably end up leaving a small indent on its surface.
- Bubble bars are more durable than bath bombs.
Bath bombs are meant to be thrown in the bathtub to use them, limiting their usage to one-timer two if you decide to cut your bath bombs into two pieces. However, bubble bars are meant to be divided into small pieces. This way, you can use bubble bars up to three times. Of course, this is based on the manufacturer and the product’s size.
How do you use a bubble bar in a shower?
Although you’re meant to use bubble bars in a bathtub, you can try to use them while taking a shower. To make the bubble bar function, you must hold it under running water and massage them gently. After that, you’ll see it producing bubbles pretty quickly.
Again, bubble bars are meant to be used in bathtubs, as sometimes large pieces end up floating in the water, which activates the bubbly effect as you continue taking a bath. If you don’t have a bathtub, it’s more recommendable to use shower jellies, as they add a nice fragrance to the shower.
How can I get the most out of Lush bubble bars?
Bubble bars are one of the many bath products that lush offers, which are characterized by the high number of bubbles they produce while you’re using them. However, if you’d like to go beyond the traditional experience, here’s what you can do.
- You can use a sock, a pantyhose, or any other similar item and fill it with the amount of pre-crumbled bubble bar you’ll use. Then, you can hang it beneath the faucet and let the water run over it. You’ll be surprised by how many bubbles will come out of it!
- It has been proved that with smaller bubble bar crumbs, you’ll get more bubbles. Once you’ve crumbled it, put them under the faucet and watch the magic go. Some users say that doing this makes their bubbles last for more than an hour!
- Another good way to get the bath time more bubble is to swish the bubbles around as you fill the bathtub with water. Use your hand and agitate the bubbles as much as you can. It’ll make the substance produce more bubbles in the end.
- You can also try and crumble the bubble bar, then place it beneath the area where the water hits. This will make your Lush bubble bar produce more bubbles than it would if you were crumbling it underneath the stream.
- Instead of a pantyhose or a sock, you can also opt for a metal strainer. It’ll make the crumbles dissolve evenly without leaving waste while producing as many bubbles as possible.
- You can get the most out of Lush bubble bars if you grate them! All you need is a handful to fill your bathtub with tons of bubbles.
Do you use Bubble Bars with a Bath Bomb?
Bubble bars and bath bombs can go perfectly together. In fact, many people use both products together to have the ultimate bathing experience. However, there are certain conditions where the combination of bubble bars and bath bombs doesn’t always go so well.
For instance, using scented bubble bars and bath bombs together may end up causing one smell to overshadow the other, or you may end up smelling nothing at all. Therefore, it’s always recommendable to use both products separately if you want to make the most of each one.
Are you supposed to use the whole bubble bar?
It depends on the size of the product and whether you want more bubbles or not. Some bubble bars are big enough to last two or three baths, as you’re supposed to cut and turn them into crumbles. However, it’s not necessary to use the whole bar for a single bath, as a small portion of it is enough to produce bubbles for a long while.
How long do bubble bars last?
It depends on the manufacturer, but bubble bars are good to use for about 12 to 14 months. However, these products can last much longer if you store them in dry places where they’re unlikely to be affected by moisture. However, please note that even if you store them very well, it’s possible for them to lose their scent partly, resulting in a less powerful fragrance when they’re used.
How do you store bubble bars?
Below you will find several useful tips to store your bubble bars safely, ensuring their longevity.
- It is important to store your bubble bars in dry places, away from humidity. Remember that water activates these products, so it’s recommendable to store them outside the bathroom to avoid any potential accident.
- Don’t store your bubble bars in places where they can get direct sunlight or heat from any other source.
- If possible, try to store your bubble bars in plastic wraps or Ziploc bags, for instance, to protect them. Don’t store them with another scented product as they may lose their fragrance.
- Plus, if you have a dehumidifier at home, try to store them as near to it as possible. Storing your bubble bars in cool, dry places to prevent their ingredients from being melted.
When properly stored, bubble bars can remain as good as new for over the usual time (12-14 months). However, as bubble bars have different components, their optimal storage time can vary from a product to another.
Also, note that in case you’re using a handmade bubble bar that has fresh ingredients, the shelf life might be much shorter than usual.
How do you make bubble bars?
There are tons of recipes you can use to make bubble bars. Here we have a natural recipe you can use to make a natural, safe bubble bath.
For this recipe, you’ll need the following elements, most of which you can find at home:
- Non-GMO cornstarch (¼ cup). Alternatively, you can use arrowroot powder.
- Citric acid (¼ cup)
- Baking soda (one cup)
- Half a cup of melted cocoa butter. Alternatively, you can use shea butter.
- Two tablespoons of liquid oil. Here you can find plenty of choices, such as sweet almond or avocado.
- Natural liquid soap (one tablespoon). You can utilize any reliable brand you like or make your own.
- Food color or soap colorant (make sure it is skin-safe). You’ll only need a few drops.
- Essential oil, the one you like the most – from eight to ten drops. This ingredient is optional, but you can add it for a better effect.
Let’s get to work.
- Take all the dry ingredients and sift them all together. This way, you’ll prevent lumps from appearing.
- Once you’re done, pour the oil and melted butter into the dry mix, and start mixing it.
- While you’re stirring the mix, add the liquid soap in small portions at a time. Make sure you combine it very well between each cycle.
- When all the ingredients are well-mixed, divide the mix into two or three portions (you’re free to choose) and add a different color to each one.
- Next up, add the essential oil and mix again. The result should have a dough-like texture. If you feel like it’s too wet, you can choose to add more cornstarch (or arrowroot, if that’s what you’re using).
- Take the mix and turn it out on a powdered surface. Start kneading it like bread dough until it’s firm.
- Now, you can use your creativity to give the bars the appearance you’d like. You can shape them into balls or any other basic geometrical form, for instance.
- The mix is ready, but it needs two or three days to dry out completely. Once this period has passed, you can store them anywhere safe, away from humidity and heat. They will be good as new for several months.
How do you make bubble bars last longer?
We already covered that storing away moisture will help to make your bubble bars last longer, but there are other things you can do that will help even further. All you need is a grater and an airlock container to store it thereafter.
You’ll need to grate the bubble bar, as they often have a soft texture, it should be easy to go through the whole bar. Once you finish grating it, you should store it in an airlock container to prevent it from getting moisture and in a cool location where the (sunlight) heat can’t affect it.
How to use reusable bubble bars
Reusable bubble bars may look like regular ones, but they’re meant to have an extended use. Here’s how you can use them, taking advantage of them as much as possible without wasting them in a single-use:
- Firstly, take the reusable bubble bar and hold it beneath the facet.
- Start running the water. As it fills the bathtub, you can get even more bubbles if you swish the water around.
- Last but not least, please let your reusable bubble bar dry before storing it. Once it’s completely dry, it’ll be ready for the next use.
Tips to make the best of your bath time with a bubble bar
- Bubble bars are highly recommended to people that suffer from dry skin. As they contain oils, they can contribute to the skin’s moisture and softness.
- If you’d like to relax while you’re bathing, it’s recommendable to choose a lavender-scented bubble bar. Lavender is known for creating a relaxing atmosphere, regardless of the use you give it.
- Contrary to this, you can choose a citrus fragrance like lemon to boost your energy after taking a bath.
- Remember to store your bubble bars in a dry and cool place. An airlock container or a similar storage item can help you keep it protected at all times.
Things to consider before using bubble bars (warnings)
Bubble bars are meant to boost your mood, regardless if you need more energy or would like to relax. Either way, there are a few things to consider if this is your first time using these products.
- Get familiarized with the bubble bar’s ingredients and ensure it is safe for you to use. For example, one of its components may cause allergies to determined individuals.
- Most bubble bars should be safe to use for pregnant individuals. However, it is known that some essential oils are prejudicial during pregnancy.
- NEVER let your bubble bars get wet unless you’re about to use them.
- It is known that certain bubble bars – especially those with colorants – leave waste. You should be able to get rid of it after rinsing the bathtub. If it has left a stain and it doesn’t come out that easily, a household cleaner plus a scrubbing brush should be enough to get rid of it.
Bubble bars should be safe to use for most individuals, except in the situations described above. If you’ve experienced an unpleasant effect after utilizing it, please attend a physician and discontinue its use.
Do bubble bars expire?
While bubble bars do “expire” after about 12-14 months, they’re still “safe” to use even past 14 months, but they will not likely produce as many bubbles as a new one would. In addition, if the bubble bar you have is scented, the fragrance will probably be weaker or non-existent. However, generally speaking, you should be able to continue using it even after the time period given above passes.